Building a better workplace isn’t as difficult as it might seem.

View a presentation on building a better workplace

If you’ve experienced any of these common workplace issues:

  • Bullying, harassment (sexual or otherwise), threats
  • Improper deductions or missed shifts on paycheques
  • Not paid for overtime (any time over eight hours)
  • Improper or unfair dismissal or other discipline, like suspension without pay
  • Unsafe workplace, or asked to take on unsafe jobs you may not be qualified for
  • Injured at work, employer refuses to accommodate your injury when you return, or refuses to re-employ you
  • Discrimination on the basis of colour, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation

Then you are not alone. Luckily, there are places to turn.

Contact us. We can refer you to the correct agency or answer your question ourselves. Check out the list of agencies and organizations offering employment-related services below.

However, there is a chance that your issue may fall through the cracks in legislation or that organization’s ability to help.

That’s when it might be better to think about forming or joining a union.

Whether you’re an administrator, plumber, labourer, retail worker, carpenter, electrician, server, mechanic, flight attendant or welder, there is a place for you in one of Yukon’s unions.

It’s easy. All you need to do is have 50% of your workplace sign an “Authorization Card.” These are available from most of the Territory’s unions – you can even start your own union!

So what is a union anyway?

  • Your union is you and the people in YOUR workplace. All of the people in the workplace who do not have the power to hire and fire
  • An autonomous group of people in a workplace joining together to improve wages, benefits, and working conditions
  • A legally recognized and chartered non-profit organization under Canadian Industrial Relations Board (CIRB)
  • Operated solely & democratically by the individuals in your ‘bargaining unit’ i.e. workplace) – no official, staff member, or individual can tell you what to do

Want to find know more about unions?

Check out our affiliates’ page for contact information for Yukon’s unions, or you can contact us.

The following organizations may also be able to help.

  • Yukon Employment Standards Board
  • Yukon Human Rights Commission
  • Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board